Monday, January 4, 2010

The craziness of living in Alaska!!

The past week or so has been so busy I haven’t had time or the internet to post anything on the blog. I’m sitting at Barnes and Noble/Starbucks today so I can update it.

I had a white Christmas this year! It was very pretty and not to terribly cold, only about 0 degrees F. Christmas morning I got a surprise when I looked outside my kitchen window and saw TWO MOOSE!! It was a cow and her calf. I don’t think I have ever seen an animal in the wild that big. The calf was almost as big as a Clydesdale horse. We got to watch them for about 5-10 minutes before they disappeared in the woods. Let me tell you, it only took them a few seconds to disappear into a white forest. It was insane the way they just disappeared. I think all the hunters I know would be jealous of their camouflage. A few days ago I heard the dogs barking and growling at the front windows and went to see what was going on. I looked out the window and there was a moose in our front yard. I think this one was a male but he had no horns so I don’t know. He stayed around for a while and as long as the dogs saw him they kept barking. I’m scared for Buster to have a run in with a moose. He’s already had one with a deer and came out ok but a moose is so much bigger. One day I know we’ll find out what they will do to each other.

One of the days it was 15 below O degrees F we had to park our Subaru outside of the house and plug it in. I let it warm up and then put it into drive but nothing happened. I gassed it and it still didn’t move. I gassed it again and we heard this cracking noise and the Subaru finally moved. It was FROZEN to the ground. Who ever thought tires would freeze to the ground. I had no idea that could ever happen. We cleaned the garage out as soon as we could and put both vehicles inside so it won’t happen again. I just hope it doesn’t happen while I’m out running errands.

Saturday night I couldn’t sleep so I was lying on the couch and saw lights outside my window. I turned the TV off and looked outside. It was the NORTHERN LIGHTS!!!!!!!! I got so excited. They weren’t the bright, moving lights like you see in pictures but they were partially blocked by trees. They were green and were moving slowly. I stood in awe for a few minutes and just watched. It’s amazing what’s on our Earth. I’m really learning to appreciate nature more than I ever have. I want to go somewhere with no trees and see all the lights, from the horizon to where they stop in the sky.

Have to go finish my errands. Have a great week and a great New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments :)